Thursday, September 25, 2014

Rain Drops in the Rear View

Rain drops in the rear view... Sounds like the title to a sad country song- I'm leeeeavin' my baaaaby. I pull away in my Ford and all I can see are rain drops in the rear view... Sorry. There's a reason I don't write lyrics! But seriously, it's been so rainy lately. Just about every day when I leave work I have to grab the umbrella. On Monday I jumped into the car and put it in reverse to back out of my parking spot. My car (a Ford, funny enough) has a back-up camera, which I never thought I could get used to but now I find myself starting at the dash when I'm driving someone else's car. Wait! There's no camera there! I actually have to look in the mirror to see what's behind me!

The back-up camera shot was foggy because of the rain and then across the whole screen, a HUGE droplet of water came down. It felt like the rain scene in "Honey... I Shrunk the Kids." Remember that? Every drop that came down on the kids had the potential to drown them. The tiny puddles that formed were lakes to their itty bitty bodies. I smirked at the sight of the huge body of water that was actually just a single drop. And then I thought about how I can see my problems or little hiccups that occur in a day as one of those HUGE drops. Through my own eyes I magnify them to be the size of an ocean when in the eyes of God they are specs.

I don't think God wants us to every feel like our cares are not important or worth heartache. Calling all of our worries, "first-world problems" ignores the fact that we are human. I think He just asks for our complete trust. When we trust that He wants what is best for us like a good father wants what is best for his loving child, those big-drop-problems can actually become opportunities to grow. Alright, God. This is on my mind. I'm a little scared. Help put this into perspective. Help me trust that you are in control and won't let me drown.

Jesus was in the stern, asleep on a cushion. They woke him and said to him, “Teacher, do you not care that we are drowning?” He woke up, rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, “Quiet! Be still!” The wind ceased and there was great calm. Mark 4: 38-39


Those big drops and storms are at the mercy of God. When we believe and accept that, they shrink in our eyes as well. 

What IS huge in the eyes of God is me. And you. His lens is miraculous and each of us is His only care. How is that possible? The only way I can even begin to wrap my head around it is to think of when I go into my boys' room when they wake up from a nap. They share a room and when I open the door, both of them are there to greet me and get a hug. I struggle with which one to go to first. Do I pull Graham out of his crib and leave Liam with his arms open waiting for a hug or do a hug Liam and pull him over to the crib as I lift the little guy? I am fully loving and caring for both of those boys at the same time. My heart is not divided. It's filled with both of them, equally. If I take this knowledge of how I feel about my own children and put it in the context of God's power and might and size... I can begin to comprehend how I can be so important to Him. THE MOST important to Him. And so are you. The most important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment