Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Unearthing Buried Treasure

photo credit pexels, 2016 via pixabay, 
Imagine you're holding a treasure map. You follow the dotted line, face the pits and perils, walk the 100 paces past the palm tree and over the hill, and then you see the treasure chest, sitting, open atop the sand.

Wait. Isn't that thing supposed to be buried?

The exciting thing about treasure is getting to unearth it and discover what's inside. It's your discovery.

That's one of the things I love about watching my children grow. They are constantly discovering new things; Treasures that I have known for decades, but they are just unearthing.

Recently, when I announced I was making a grocery list, my older son urgently announced, "Momma, you HAVE to buy this cereal I had at Daddy's. It's called Froot Loops. They are all different colors and each color tastes different." I just smiled and nodded, listening to him tell me about  a cereal I have known for 30 years (they are all the same flavor, btw). Finally I said, "Kiddo, I'm a Froot Loop eater from way back. I KNOW Froot Loops." I agreed to get some from the grocery store and when I poured him a bowl the next morning I was reminded of how good those little o's are. Man, they are tasty.

The next day I asked my son to share the story with my parents, so they could hear about this "new" cereal he tried. My dad piped in with, "I ate Froot Loops when I was your age," and I realized, I was mistaken in thinking I was the original connoisseur - we are generational Froot Loopers!

Through this discovery upon discovery, I was reminded of how exciting something can be when you experience it through the eyes of a child, even a breakfast cereal.

So many things become routine or expected that we forget how much they once enlivened our senses. 

We forget how carefree it is to chase bubbles, how eye-poppingly huge a T-Rex is or how thrilling it is to ride a bike down a steep hill.

I think that's why we love hearing kids talk about God. We get to hear the awe, playfulness, trust and LOVE that they experience as they are discovering Him. And as we listen, we are reminded of the way we felt when things were new in our own faith journey. But here's the amazing thing about this treasure of our faith: We can keep digging! There is always somewhere deeper to go where God has more riches to show and share with us.

So keep listening. Keep showing your children the way. And keep digging!

4 comments:

  1. It's a fact ... "allah" doesn't exist >>> so there is no reason for "muslims" to kill for the non-existent "allah"
    Proven here >>> www.Gods-Catholic-Dogma.com/section_113.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loan Opportunity Offered By Mr, Benjamin That Save My Family From Financial Bondage {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com}

    Hello Everyone, I am Putri Adiratnaa single mom from Jakarta, I would like to share this great testimony on how I got a loan from Mr, Benjamin, when we were driven out of our home when I couldn't pay my bills anymore, After being scammed by various companies online and denied a loan from my bank and some other credit union I visited. My children were taken by the foster care, I was all alone in the street. The day i shamefully walked into an old school mate who introduced me to Daisy Maureen. At first I told her that I am not ready to take any risk of requesting a loan online anymore, but she assured me that I will receive my loan from them. On a second thought, due to my homelessness I had to take a trial and applied for the loan, luckily for me I received a loan of $80,000.00 from Mr, Benjamin. I'm happy I took the risk and applied for the loan. My kids have been given back to me and now I own a home and a business of my own. All thanks and gratitude goes to Le_Meridian Funding Service and for the help of Mr, Benjamin for giving me a meaning to life when i had lost all hope. If you currently seeking for a loan assistance, you can contact them via: {lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com} Or WhatsApp +11-989-394-3740

    ReplyDelete